Addictions 22:56 on Monday
What are you addicted to?
To draw a distinction between addictions and things you like, you do or consume what you’re addicted to even when you don’t like to. Addictions are habits you can’t seem to kick even if you wanted. For example, I like snowboarding a lot, but I don’t have a compulsory need to run for every slanted surface around me with the board on my shoulders.
These habits I can’t stop:
- Drinking coffee. When I go a day without coffee, the headache kicks in the next morning. This addiction is real.
- Blog feeds. These days I’m reading blogs less than at worst, but it also means more posts to read when I do open the newsreader.
- Checking email. When email arrives, I drop whatever I’m doing and have to read it. I try to quit Mail whenever I’m working, but sometimes I need to have it running to access archived email.
- Checking on chat room activity. I used to have an irc client open all the time, but about a year ago I stopped. Still, whenever I open irc, the chat window must be checked every five minutes and every mundane link must be clicked on. Don’t try this at home.
- Gran Delicato. The best cafe in town. The money I spend here is totally disproportionate to my income. Makes my first addiction even more enjoyable.
Make it a meme if you wish.